Maybe you noticed that Chris Brown, CEO of Wiedenbach-Brown and I are having a little debate about the future of lighting. Traditional Lighting vs. Smart Lighting; Chicken Little vs. Captain Sunshine; Illumigeddon vs. Fortuity………whatever! We see things differently yet we come to some very similar conclusions. It’s the best of times, it’s the worst of times but some writer better than us already said that.
The debate started last summer at http://energywatchnews.com/blog/ and the blogs kept coming.
Just click below to open the specific blog:
BY CHRIS BROWN:
• THE FORECAST CALLS FOR PAIN
• COMING SOON….ILLUMIGEDDON (OR THE END OF LIGHTING AS WE’VE KNOWN IT)!
• WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT, ALFIE?
• CONNECTING THE DOTS CONTINUUUUUUES
• ILLUMIGEDDON, I’M BAAAAACK
• CONNECTING THE STRENGTHS
BY YOURS TRULY:
• WAVES OF OPPORTUNITY IN LIGHTING
• LEGENDARY LIGHTING IS OVER
• GET REAL – TRANSITIONS ARE ALWAYS MESSY
• CONNECT THE DOTS SERIES
• A TIME OF GREAT FORTUITY IN LIGHTING
• CONNECTING THE WEAKNESSES
• CONNECTING THE SMART LIGHTING STRENGTHS
• ILLUMIGEDDON OR FORTUITY – YOU DECIDE
• WHO SAID LED LIGHTING IS DISRUPTIVE INNOVATION?
So what lighting future are we talking about? We don’t know for sure. As Chris says ‘I may be wrong… but what if I’m right, even just partly right?’ Well, we’re just having fun with all of this. We just gave a slide presentation at the Dallas chapter of IES and it was a blast. In fact many of the industry’s top players have made some really credible comments; Jim Lucy published it in Electrical Wholesaling; Scott Costa did it in TED; NAILD picked it up for their newsletter, and we have more requests to repeat our debate.
A short summary of our presentation is posted at: http://energywatchnews.com/illumigeddon-or-fortuity/ Look forward to sending a detailed outline for your consideration. firstname.lastname@example.org
ILLUMIGEDDON per Chris Brown portends the end of our grandfather’s traditional lighting business and foretells that some lighting distributors are out of business, they just don’t know it yet. Bill Attardi counters with the term “FORTUITY”. That means you had nothing to do with this dynamic change to the new technologies……nothing. It is just fortuitous that you are in the right place at the right time. It’s decision time Folks: Can you take advantage of these changes and see it as an opportunity for significant growth and prosperity or decide to close your doors and move on to something else.
Illumigeddon will certainly happen for some and that’s too bad but the one thing Chris and I agree on absolutely is that it can only happen if you let it. If you believe there are waves of opportunity in the Smart Lighting business then INNOVATE…
• You have to decide to go in the water
• You have to develop the needed skills to ride the big waves
• You have to decide what you can control
• You have to reposition your company
• You have to have the guts to fail before you succeed