Hey Captain Sunshine, it’s me CHICKEN LITTLE! Remember me? Remember our debates about Illumigeddon and Fortuity? Well, it’s time to look back and see how we got where we are today in our truly disrupted Lighting Industry.
But first, beyond the list below of news from the last month alone, help me out by letting me know about any other recent lighting industry acquisitions / spin offs / closings I’ve missed:
- GE SELLS CURRENT TO A PRIVATE EQUITY FIRM, AMERICAN INDUSTRIAL PARTNERS
- CREE SELLS LIGHTING DIVISION TO IDEAL INDUSTRIES
- EATON WANTS TO SPIN OFF ITS COOPER LIGHTING DIVISION
- OSRAM GERMANY ANNOUNCES LOWER PROFITS AND IS AN ACQUISITION TARGET
WHAT DO THE SELLERS / SPINNERS KNOW THAT WE DON’T KNOW?
- AMERLUX SOLD TO DELTA ELECTRONICS (not a lighting company out of Taiwan)
- SIMKAR FILES CHAPTER 11
- AMERICAN GLASS LIGHT SHUTS DOWN
- LUMENOPTIX SHUTS DOWN
- ECHELON LIGHTING SOLUTIONS SHUTS DOWN
- APPLE / AMAZON / MICROSOFT HIT MARKET CAP OF $1 TRILLION (just thought I would throw that in……..ya never know who wants a piece of the lighting industry).
THIS IS RECENT HISTORY, FOLKS….
Is there a common thread here? Is it China, is it IoT, is it the economy, is it technology, is it bad management decisions, is it bad luck? Or is it just business as usual? Captain Sunshine, please help me understand what’s really going on in the traditional lighting industry. What’s going on, what’s next, and my old question….as IoT develops and tech and lighting have to align, who will be driving the bus?
And what about some of the technology developments we talked about…. circadian balanced illumination, tunable white light, Li-Fi, PoE, LVDC, OLED’s, quantum dots, laser, additive 3D manufacturing, etc. etc. etc. How about lighting distribution and manufacturers reps? Have they stepped up their games, broadened their ‘solution’ offerings, defended their existing client bases with IT alliances, brought their own IT infrastructures up to speed?
So, looking back, how did we do looking forward with Illumigeddon and Fortuity? Did we over or under estimate disruption. Any predictions going forward? Are you ready to admit that it looks like Illumigeddon may have arrived, and will continue? And if the answer is yes, how do folks prepare for it, both professionally and personally? Over to you!